If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either. Joseph Wood Krutch
______________________________________________

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Suspect in bee die-off: Insecticide Widely used bug spray may be behind deaths of millions of bees- mlive.com

I do not use insecticide any longer.  If I have an insect pest problem I use a combination of Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap and a few essential oils.  With this mix I have rid myself of a major ant infestation and kept hornets from building nests under the eaves.  Right now we are in the middle of a catastrophic bee die-off and there is evidence it is chemicals that are the culprit.  Here is a link to a good article on the subject.  

 

Suspect in bee die-off: Insecticide Widely used bug spray may be behind deaths of millions of bees

 

For the recipe to get rid of ants follow this link to "The Invisible Gardener" and look for his "Dances with Ants" instructions.  Andy is a sheer genius when it comes to pest control and organic gardening.  There is a small fee to join his site for a lifetime but well worth it. Look for his Internet only specials.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to try your ant recipe. Our kitchen is overrun with them right now, and I don't want to spray anything toxic.

I have unscented Dr. Bronner's soap. I wonder if I could just add essential oils to that. Which oils are you using?

Beth

Scott said...

Beth

I am using Citronella and Cinnamon. I don't know if the unscented Bronners will work. You may be able to add Peppermint Oil to it.